Sunday 13 June 2010

All of a flourish

I booked myself on a craft class to cheer myself up the other day and there's nothing like a bit of Linda Elbourne abuse to cheer you up.  The class took place at LB Crafts in Olney with the title "A flourishing quartet".  I knew all of the techniques but sometimes I lke to attend classes just to get new ideas or purely to play with products/ colour combinations I've not used. 

Having spent 3 hours in the car to get there rather than 1 hour 15 minutes I was glad not to have to learn lots of techniques - got to love the car park that is the M25 and the roadworks on the M1.  I recommend using the M40 in future if anyone heads from the South!  The way back was no different as I tried to get to the M40 but ended up headed back to the M25 and I managed to pull a muscle in the back of my knee.  By this time I was feeling well and truly cursed so I arrived home via the chippy :D

Anyway back to the class.  We painted a canvas black and then over painted in green.  Never used black as a base and I must saying it looks stunning popping through the green.  We then stamped a flourish all over the canvas - think this might be PaperArtsy but I can't confirm.

After that we did some metal work, covered this in black and then green paint.  Again I love this look as you get two lots of highlights.  Finally we stuck a few die cuts on top of the metal and hey presto and stunning piece of wall art.  Oops nearly forgot we also covered 37 (yes, Linda counted them) ycuky yellow plastic free of the cover of a magazine flowers in Gop (Inka Gold Copper to anyone who hasn't learnt Lin and Leandra speak) and then highlighted them with Rangers new black dimensional glaze.

Back on to my card making quest I made another card for the box at work last week and have forgotten to show you so know seems as good a time as any.  Seems to take me ages to make cards as I insist that they are all totally different.  Maybe I should make several similar ones at the same time and hold them back until the others sell, not sure.  Anyway I used the PaperArtsy Love Birds stamp on this one along with the two very cute birds.  I like to think of it as mum and dad looking after the babies.  Maybe that's why I take so long making cards I've really thought of the whole family thing (yikes, I'm slightly dotty me thinks).  The background is a glimmer mist jobbie and the birds are stamped on card coloured with DI's bundled sage using the direct to paper technique.  I then coloured them in and stuck a flower on the front.  Almost forgot I aged a book page with antique linen.  Love, Love, Love these stamps.

I'm entering this into the Lots To Do Challenge this week which is Birds/ Wings (Week 23).

Hope you like
Debz
x

7 comments:

  1. Lovely metallic look to this piece !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic piece - love the way you did it all

    Thanks for sharing your work with the Lotstodo Challenge xx Hilda

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been very busy Debs, sounds like you had a great time.

    I went to Lin's for a workshop for my 60th birthday in December - from Norfolk! In the winter! Mad or desperate or what? Won't tell you how many hours it took each way. Fortunately my dearest husband did the driving - or else I would never have been able to participate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that canvas Deb, & your card is fab! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great canvas, glad you had fun at Linda's class (even if the travelling was less fun!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. You lucky thing, attending a class there - and I love how you used the birdcage. A great canvas!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for popping by and leaving me a comment I read every one and they are always appreciated.