Tuesday 1 March 2011

An Ode to Tim Holtz


As promised my homage to all things Tim Holtz.

To those of you who follow me just because you like my work (rather than being a crafty person), Tim Holtz is massive in the craft world.  He works with Ranger showing us amazing ways with new products and inspires people all other the world.


Click on any of the pictures for a larger image
The class he bought to us was called Configuration of the Imagination.  I love altered art, but mostly because I get to play with rubber stamps, inks and paints in a big way.  I was a little worried about this class when I saw what we were doing as there wasn't a lot of painting or inking ... was I going to enjoy it?

Those Tim Holtz stalkers out there are probably balking at the fact that I have even dared to think I wasn't going to enjoy a Tim Holtz class.

But that's where I showed my ignorance.  What Tim did was give us 4 hours of inspiration.  Two hours to do the boring stuff and further 2 hours to fill the box with the goodies we were given and anything we had bought along.  With music in the background (he's got great taste in music btw) he allowed my imagination to get carried away, playing around with placement of items and changing what I had into something a little different.

It's hard to see from the finished product but it starts off as a fairly plain box with all these litle boxes you can move around before covering with paper, in our case, inking and painting.

The large glass vial we were given was fantastic but it would have been way too easy to use it as a glass vial, so I didn't. Instead I used Ranger matte medium to stick pearls to the bottom, added some seed beads at home and then wrapped the film stip and ticket inside it. The matte medium is taking forever to dry but when it does the pearls should look suspended. If you look carefully the lower ones already do.



None of the flowers I was given went into the box without being cut up and changed into smaller or wilder looking flowers.  The corks in my bottles had a habit of being grouped with something else (one is supporting the soda cap at the top, and one I stuck in to look as if it's support the cotton reel with flowers).

As I was filling my box I realised I had so many wonderful things at home I could add so when I got home I filled one of the bottles with mico beeds, added some shells, a metal crown, a stamped peice and a couple of badges I've had for years.

Anyway, morale of this story never judge a book by its cover (or class instructions, in this case).  I REALLY enjoyed this class and can't wait to do another.  I'd love to do some of Tim's inkier classes so maybe a trip to the States is in order.  I don't want to become a stalker (that position is already taken, anyway), but maybe a Holtz cruise is in order.

Hope you like it

Debz
x

7 comments:

  1. I totally agree! I think a Holtz cruise would be fab! Love the blog and your finished box! Hope you got home ok. Lets keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your box looks wonderful, bet it was great fun to achieve and I am so jealous you had fun with Tim.

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had fun, great collection of ephemera for the box, looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like he is a great motivator. Enjoyed your story but mostly your enthusiasm. I loved the energy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had some fun and I like your Box!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a fabulous job Debz, I love all the little personal touches you added, & the glass vial looks great upside down! Sorry to have missed you!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for popping by and leaving me a comment I read every one and they are always appreciated.